Saturday, March 17, 2007

Crazy Dragon Lady

As you are aware, the principal at my school is abso-freaking-lutely crazy. I recently read a book called "The Sociopath Next Door" and now I really think she is one, but I am not going to get into that. Apparently there are some people who have been leaving earlier than what we are allowed to leave, 3:40. Now, were I the one in charge I would speak to those people about the issue. However, that is not what the crazy woman does. The crazy woman decides that the way to handle it is to hold the sign out sheet hostage and have it locked up until exactly 3:40.

The reason this is a problem is that because of the way the building is set up and because it is an elementary school and teachers have to take kids to after care and whatnot, different people would stop into the office at different times anytime between 3:15 and 3:40 and sign out, including me. This did not mean that we were leaving, we would write 3:40, go back to our rooms and work until 3:40. Well now, since people are at the office at 3:35 because they took their kids to aftercare and their classroom is on the other side of the building so they wait in the office. Now what we get is a long line at 3:40 to sign out so that if you do not go to stand in the office and wait at 3:30, you won't get out until 3:5o. This is a problem for me because my children's after care program is charged by the half hour. If I do not leave by 3:45 at the very latest, I cannot get then until after 4 which will amount to me getting charged for the next half hour every day-which amounts to $70 a month for me. It's a big deal.

So now, instead of checking my mail, signing out at 3:30 and going back and working in my office until 3:40, I stand in the office and do nothing for 10 minutes every day. All of the kindergarten teachers do the same thing because if they were to walk back to their rooms after dropping the aftercare kids off, by the time they get to the other side of the building, it would be time to turn around and walk back and frankly, why bother. So anyway, this is the brilliant management strategy of the principal. She has at least ten people every day, just standing there waiting to sign out. Did I mention there is actually a timer set and the secretaries can't put the sheet out until it goes off?

But wait...here is the best part...everyone knows who the people are who leave early. And guess what...they are still leaving early, they just don't sign out. So instead of solving the problem, the people who are doing what they are supposed to be doing are being punished and the people who are the problem, are still leaving.

We actually got an email about this sign out sheet business which if I had any sense I would have printed out to take on job interviews as evidence in writing of the insanity of this woman. I have almost no chance of getting a new job because when I interview and the principal asks if they can call my current principal I say no they can't. But I can't say why, because if I were to say why then I would be the one who looks crazy, no one can believe the shit she does.

She is having health problems and I know it's wrong but I hope she retires. She was just on vacation and she looks like death. One day this week she left early because she was sick and someone saw her walking out of the building dragging her coat across the parking lot. How weird is that?

OK, I am going to watch this movie with my husband on the new tv. Besides, the cat is mad because she wants to sit on my lap.

1 comment:

e.Beth said...

okay, that's just a stupid idea. if the people who leave early are still leaving early and just not signing out, will she talk to them about the fact that they're not signing out?