Sunday, January 28, 2007

Pictures

What do you do with old pictures? Mine are in photo albums, that were made at the time the pictures were developed. (That's right...developed) Not the scrapbook kind that some crazy people put together...that I don't get, but they are in albums. I have photo albums from when I was nine years old.

For some reason, one night my husband said something about one of my ex-boyfriends and Alyssa said, "Oh I saw a picture of him." And my husband said "Where?" Alyssa said, "In one of mommy's photos albums." He says, "You have pictures of your old boyfriends?" with complete disbelief. Now, his old pictures are in shoe boxes somewhere and if anyone bothered to look through them I am sure we'd find some old girlfriends but that's not my point so I won't go there. So I said, "In old photo albums, in the hall closet." He is looking at me like this is the craziest thing he has ever heard! I asked, "Am I supposed to tear apart my photo albums and throw them away?" There was no verbal response but the look I got was a "yes".

What the hell? These are not albums that are sitting out where you can just pick them up and look at them. They are in the hall closet, some are in the basement. One of them is from college with sorority stuff in it. Why would I rip them apart? It's my past and that's what it was. Does getting rid of the pictures somehow change it? It's not like he didn't know about these guys! Should I let my daughter think I only ever had one boyfriend? I think it's better for her to know that I had a few and she should too before she decides to get married.

We have been married for 12 years next month. I don't understand why he would be that insecure to worry about me having a picture of someone I dated 15-20 years ago! I suppose this means I have to get rid of my prom pictures too. Men!

No comments: