Saturday, December 30, 2006

Psychedelic Furs and People Watching

Last night I saw the Psych Furs at the Trocadero in Philly. I went with my husband and sister-in-law, Maribeth. Her husband was supposed to come too but he wussed out. That's another story tho.

The show was great. Richard Butler is starting to look quite a lot like David Bowie. He looked like he was having a great time and really wanted to be there. That's always nice. Unlike when we see Echo and the Bunnymen and Ian McCullough looks like he just wants to go home. Maribeth said she's not even sure he knows where he is. But as usual, I digress.

As I said, the show was great, I am not sure why they are touring, just for something to do I guess. As far as I could tell they don't have a new album. I didn't recognize three songs, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't have all their albums anyway. They played a couple of songs I had forgotten all about but I said "I love this song!" when they started, "Sleep Comes Down" and "Only You and I".

First adventure of the evening was getting there. We couldn't find anywhere to park. We finally found a lot that was close enough, walked over to the Troc and the bouncer says "have your ticket and your ID." Bet left her ID in the car. She is the youngest of the three of us and is 34, so I said "her's is in the car." He says "Well, you better go get it, it's an over 21 show." Rob says "you have got to be kidding." His response was "That's the way it works." I said, "Not normally when you are 35 it doesn't." So we actually had to go back to the car and get it and they actually checked all our IDs. What I want to know is how many under 21 year olds have even heard of the Psych Furs unless their parents are playing them!?

I am not sure if lots of other people who are close to our age just look really bad, or if the crowd was a lot older, because we actually did look younger than at least 3/4 of the people in there. There were some very strange people in this crowd. When we were looking for a place to park we saw a very large man with white hair, huge earrings and a black trench coat getting out of a cab-he went the wrong direction when he got out of the cab, I sort of thought he looked like he may be going, but then he went to opposite way, maybe he needed to stop somewhere else first-he was there. Bet saw him doing a dance, I missed that. The guy behind us, who was about 5 feet tall, got really annoying toward the end and was just shouting. I doubt he could see over me so good-because he pissed me off. By far my favorite person in attendance was some guy who had this total "I think I am Johnny Depp" thing going on. He had shoulder length, dark curly hair, big black-framed glasses, wearing a black hat, he was going all out. And I so wanted to go over to him and say "yeah, this whole look works for Johnny Depp, because HE'S Johnny Depp." Anyone else, you just look ridiculous. I imagine there are some who would say Johnny Depp looks ridiculous-the fuggers don't like it I know!

Some of the fun at concerts of largely 80s bands is watching to crowd. Rob noted that he thinks it's weird that we never run into anyone we know. I suppose that's true. But no one in high school except my immediate circle of friends was listening to anything that wasn't top 40. I guess 'no one' is an exaggeration, but I can think of about 5 people who may have been listening to what we were listening to. There were people in college but it was Philly, so who knows where they came from and where they moved to after college?!

Oh well. We had fun. And today we went to a family party and I got to harass my brother-in-law for being a big pussy. Next concert is Howard Jones, which I understand from Suzy will be completely mellow. Hey Beth, you guys didn't forget about that did you? Although I know next concert for you is Justin. Did sexy go somewhere? That's all I wanna know.

No comments: