Friday, December 22, 2006

More Annoying Things About My Job

So at my job that I love so much I get 12 sick days and 5 personal days per year. If those days are not used they accumulate, forever. When you retire the school district pays you for the days, but only up to 100 and the last I heard it was $50 per day, nevermind that it costs them $80 a day for a substitute if you do use them. But that's a different rant.

So, as of the last statement I have 65 days, this is my 9th year. Last year I used, if I recall correctly 42 for an extended sick leave when I was in a car accident and messed up my knee. So, I did all the math earlier today and basically what this means is that I have averaged 6 days per school year. So, when Brandon ran away on November 13, I took a personal day. Well, according to our contract, I am "not allowed" to take a personal day that day because the two school days immediately prior we had off. So now I have to "provide documentation" that I really had an emergency. It is so annoying and ridiculous. The best part of the whole thing, is that if I had not been upset and had been thinking clearly, I could have just called out sick and they wouldn't be bothering me about this. What I am saying is, they have the system set up so that I would be better off to have lied about the reason I wasn't there. Totally stupid.

Today, with our paycheck, we get a letter that says if you are taking a medical leave of absence, you need to provide ten days notice. Huh? Under what circumstances are most people able to provide ten days notice that they are going to need a medical leave? I can think of 2, pregnancy and scheduled surgery. I think I have never received any notice so ridiculous in all my life.

As if this school district doesn't have enough trouble keeping people already, they need to give us even more reason to want to go elsewhere. I can retire after next year. Have I mentioned that? Time to start looking into my next career move.

No comments: