Thursday, August 10, 2006

Things I Don't Need to Know About

I was pretty sure I could get through my entire life not knowing that if one is arrested and not bailed out quickly enough one gets sent to county. Also, one can only call a number so many times before needing to call someone different. But because I have a cousin who no one understands, I now know these things.

My children have directions not to answer the telephone unless they recognize the number on the caller ID. My parents did not have this luxury. Neither do I, because my children do not follow this rule, especially my son. So yesterday he answers a call which is a collect call from my cousin. Now, I know she has a cell phone so I cannot, in good conscience, not take the call, obviously something is wrong. She's in jail. She is such a dumbass. Unpaid traffic fines and outstanding warrants.

She did not call her mother, we guess because her mother told her last week she had had enough and was "done with her". Believe me, she knows damn well her mother would not leave her sitting in jail, but whatever. She made her choice and called her loser boyfriend instead. Maybe if she had started with mom she would have gotten her out in time and she wouldn't have spent the night there.

So, I got to be the one to tell my aunt. Very tactfully I might add, "Um, yeah, did you know your daughter is in jail?" I sort of assumed she knew, otherwise I'd have at least told her to leave Boscov's and sit in her car so she wouldn't have to break down in the store. She called me this morning on her way to try to go get her, but she hasn't called me again. I assume she got her.

Aren't families fun?

No comments: