Monday, January 07, 2008

Little Bit

Last week I went into the garage to take out some recycling and sitting on the edge of one of the buckets was a mouse.  I slammed the door and came back inside.  We always have mice in the garage in the winter.  We have never seen them, in the Spring, we see the messes they leave behind.  A few months ago I had a mouse in my car but that's another story.  So Rob had been saying he wants a pet mouse, I say no and we have a cat.  So I see this mouse and go onto chat and tell him that I am going to put Kitty in the garage.  He says "Noooo".  I would not do that and he knows it, but that's beside the point.  

Last night I go out to put some recycling in the bucket, and in the bucket, jumping up, over and over is the mouse.  It is stuck in the bucket.  I scream and go back in the house.  Of course, Rob wants to know why I am screaming so I tell him, "your new pet is in the recycling bucket".  Rob proceeds to give the mouse a pair of socks and a cracker.  I reminded him later that the mouse will need water.  In the morning he gave the mouse a lid full of water.  I heard from Brandon that it was peeking out from under the socks.  I did not see it in the morning, although I looked in the bucket.  I guess it was hiding in the socks.  I told Rob last night we had to release the mouse, we cannot keep a wild creature, and it was agreed that we would release the mouse when everyone was home and could watch.

When we got home I looked in the bucket and did not see the mouse.  I poked around with the long reach thing that Rob's mom gave us for some odd reason.  The only other person I know with one of those things is my grandmother and she is 84.  But I digress.  I did not see the mouse.  Alyssa tells me it's in the sock, she saw it when she came home.  Then she asks if she can call Sheila over to see the mouse.  I said DO NOT TRY TO TOUCH THE MOUSE, several times.  

After the girls looked at the mouse and I got done sorting out why Sheila and Brandon were shouting at each other, Alyssa informs me that she tried to move the sock because they couldn't see the mouse and the mouse ran up her arm, jumped off and ran away.  So we were not pleased with her because everyone was supposed to be a part of releasing the mouse; and that was supposed to happen outside...but now the mouse is still in the garage.  She lost her phone and computer privileges for the evening because when we say "don't do _____"  she does it.  

I have no doubt that the mouse, who Rob named Little Bit, will manage to get itself stuck back in the bucket in no time at all, especially since the cracker is still in there. 

Oh yeah...here it is.  Cute isn't it?






3 comments:

e.Beth said...

i have to admit. that is one cute mouse. not that i like mice, but that's pretty cute!

Becca said...

Funny you should post that--Steve and I were just stalking a raccoon on our balcony a minute ago! He went out for a smoke, heard some rustling, and there it was, sitting on our balcony chair, having a wash! We saw it about a week ago, too, but didn't realize he lived around here! We tapped on the glass and it walked right up to the window to have a look at us! We're definitely cautious about rabies, so we'll let the building manager know tomorrow to keep an eye out for it. Steve's afraid to go out for a ciggie now.

Unknown said...

Salem would lurve to "play" with him. Nigel would love to tell me that it's 'over there.' Aww...poor Lil Bit! At least it's still kind of warm outside so he may have time to find some place (else) to live for the winter before he freezes those darling little whiskers off. He's one danged cute little mousy! Those eyes are like cartoon eyes!